There are 5 key areas where voice traffic needs to be managed to ensure voice quality.
- Customer Local Area Network (LAN)
- Link – the data circuit from the customer premises to the existing ISP’s core network
- Exit – how voice traffic is managed when it leaves the customer LAN towards the VoIP service provider
- Arrival – how the voice traffic is managed from the VoIP service provider towards the customer LAN
- Route – the networks that route the traffic between the VoIP service provider and the telephony networks